HISTORY OF HOLY TRINITY
Founded in 1868, Holy Trinity celebrated its 150th anniversary June 2018-June 2019. In 2014,
we celebrated the 100th anniversary of our present building on N. Prospect Street, adjacent
to Grace Park. Over the past century-and-a-half, Holy Trinity has been home to many of Akron's notable families, and has a proud heritage of serving those in need throughout this community.
Founded by Akron notables John F. Seiberling, Charles Miller and J.H. Hower in 1868, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church has been home to many of Akron’s prominent business and civic leaders.
The church’s present structure was built in 1914 in the style of Europe’s French gothic cathedrals, with intricate hand carvings and beautiful stained glass windows. Franklin A. Seiberling, the founder of The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, was a major influence in the construction of “The Little Cathedral on the Hill” at Park and Prospects Streets, while completing the construction of his new mansion, Stan Hywet Hall, Akron’s Tudor masterpiece. The magnificent pipe organ was originally a gift from the Seiberling Family, and today the expanded instrument is used by world-renowned guest artists during Trinity’s Organ Recital Series.
Although many pastors have served Holy Trinity, the senior pastor from 1929 to 1944 was Dr. Franklin Clark Fry, known as “Mr. Protestant” in national religious circles.
In 2013, the congregation celebrated "100 years, One Foundation," to mark the centennial anniversary of the cornerstone laying of the present structure. As part of the celebration, a time capsule, sealed inside the cornerstone since June 22, 1913, was located, recovered and opened (see video link & contents list below). In 2014, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the sanctuary, the congregation dedicated a new time capsule and sealed it into the floor in front of the altar.
Holy Trinity honored the 'Sesquicentennial Anniversary' of its congregation with a year-long celebration from June 2018 to June 2019. This historic milestone was celebrated in grand style with a variety of events culminating with the capstone activity of completing more than 150 service projects. In addition, a special 150th Anniversary History Book was produced. If you would like to receive a free copy, please call (330) 376-5154 or email Sandy DeLuca.
For 150 years, the members of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church have made themselves a cornerstone in this community by praising our Lord Jesus Christ, loving one another and serving others. Throughout the anniversary year, we 'remembered yesterday, celebrated today and imagined tomorrow.'